Oral care doesn’t mean just brushing teeth on a daily basis. There are multiple other good oral hygiene practices to maintain to have healthy teeth and gums. If you ignore taking care of your mouth health properly, you may have to face dental problems.
Dental treatments are often quite lengthy processes that involve plenty of sessions and pain. Those are great to cure your dental issues, but still, prevention is always the better option. You can easily avoid almost all sorts of dental problems just by following a proper oral hygiene routine.
What is Oral Hygiene?
Oral hygiene means maintaining proper dental practice to have healthy teeth and avoid all oral issues. You just have to do some basic things at home and make regular visits to the dental office.
Why Oral Hygiene is Important?
If you don’t maintain proper oral hygiene, oral problems will be disturbing you all the time. For example- if you don’t brush your teeth regularly, bacteria will build up on them and eventually start mineralizing your teeth. The result of such mineralization can be dental erosion, gum inflammation, toothache and gingivitis. Similar things happen when you don’t floss regularly. Food that is stuck between teeth while eating, will remain there and build up bacteria. Irregular flossing also causes gum bleeding in some cases. Not visiting a dental clinic regularly will keep you ignorant about dental issues at the initial stage and make you face severe problems in near future.
These are just some examples, in reality, the importance of maintaining dental hygiene is endless.
Tips For Oral Hygiene
There are some easy but important things to follow to have a healthy mouth. The list of them is provided below:
- Brushing regularly: Brushing is mandatory and everyone knows that. But there are some basic rules for brushing. Such as- brushing twice a day, not using hard-bristled brush, not brushing too harshly, using fluoride toothpaste and brushing for exactly 2 minutes each time. Brushing after supper and having sugary food or drink is a must.
- Flossing properly: To remove all the food particles stuck between your teeth, flossing is necessary. Toothbrushing cannot reach everywhere. So, you should floss your teeth before brushing every time.
- Avoiding smoking: Smoking erodes the enamel layer of teeth and leads to tooth decay. Also, it causes discolouration of teeth. Avoiding habits like smoking or tobacco chewing is mandatory to take proper care of mouth health.
- Tongue cleaning: Most people avoid this one, but remember it is equally important as toothbrushing. Bacteria builds up on the tongue too. These bacteria can easily reach and affect teeth and gum.
- Drinking enough water: Drinking water is a primary solution to many health issues as well as dental issues. It helps to wash out the bacteria layer existing on teeth and the tongue. Also prevents dry mouth and makes your gums stronger.
- Limit sugary food and drink: Sugar is such an ingredient that invites bacteria inside the mouth. Bacteria is the main enemy of teeth and gums, as they cause tooth decay. So, unless you limit having sugary foods and drinks to save your teeth from bacteria attacks.
- Eating healthy food: Eating healthy food is good for both general health and oral health. To keep your teeth and gums as healthy as possible, try eating vegetables and fruits every day.
- Visit your dentist twice a year: Whether you have any dental issues or not, having regular dental checkups should be a part of your oral hygiene routine. Many minor issues can be detected by expert dentists and help you stay problem-free in the long run.
Hopefully, now you have enough knowledge about oral hygiene. Try to follow all the tips properly and carefully. Feel free to contact Next Generation dental to confirm your appointment for regular dental checkups. Our expert team will definitely help you to improve your oral health.